So I was thinking Gentoo, optimized for PII, I guess -Os would be a good option for this little machine. Any thoughts anyone?

What about the desktop? I guess Gnome or KDE is not really the best choice. But what else could I use? Of course, it's for kids, so I have to be able to make it look nice :-) What would be a good window manager? File manager? Other applications that help to keep it lean an fast?
Man, I've installed gentoo in a Pentium III 450MHz with 128 MB RAM. The apps I've installed were:

- KDE: It was very fast, but it took four days a week to compile. If you think that installing KDE doesn't worth the effort (if you are afraid that KDE may be sluggish), install slackware with KDE just to see how it will perform on that hardware. - OpenOffice.org: I was able to run OOo. It was a little (yes, just a little) slow, but worked well. I also recommend you to install koffice, because it is lightweight.
- The Gimp, Inkscape, Thunderbird, etc.: were swift and fast.

DO NOT install firefox. It is crappy on slower machines. Stick with konqueror and avoid headaches.

Everything should run better than you expect on that machine. If you are in doubt because of performance concerns, try slackware just to test what you can be executed on your machine. With gentoo you'll have to compile everything (and it will take a week), but it will pay the effort, because everything will be faster.

_______________________________________________________ Novidade no Yahoo! Mail: receba alertas de novas mensagens no seu celular. Registre seu aparelho agora! http://br.mobile.yahoo.com/mailalertas/