The PORTAGE_BINHOST option is quit time consuming on emerges.  But, if
you're only doing it once in awhile, in batched sets, it should be
just fine.  The reason it takes so long is that it has to do an FTP
listing of the remote host, cache that info, and then finally it'll do
the merging.

I was doing that quite a bit in times past.  But, you have to make
sure you are using the same use flags on EVERY host.  Also, I did have
issues where emerge would refuse to use a binary package, and instead
would re-build it.  I think it was due to using the --newuse
functionality, and/or the -u (update) functionality.

On 10/13/06, Timothy A. Holmes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Friday 13 October 2006 15:16, Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
> > I was reading the thread on the lightweight gentoo system.
> This to a
> > degree meshed with what a friend and I have been talking about.
> > Essentially setting up a standard image for all of my
> gentoo servers,
> > and stage 4ing (is that a word?) that image to the servers.
>  Once they
> > are in production, building updates etc in a dedicated build
> > environment and simply rolling out binaries to the boxes as
> they are needed.
> >
> > The concept sounds really good, giving me the ability to do
> > (relatively) fast updates with binaries on the production servers,
> > after they have been through testing, with out tying up
> resouces, and
> > (more importantly) being able to fully test them prior to
> putting them into production.
> >
> > If anyone has done this type of thing, or has references, links,
> > pointers etc I would REALLY appreciate them.
>
> I haven't done any stage4 stuff so no clue about how to do
> that. I only know that it's possible. But for the rest of it
> [1] should give you a hint...
>
> [1]
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&;
chap=3#doc_chap4

> --
> Bo Andresen

Bo:

The stage 4 stuff is quite easy and I do that routinely.  If you want
links or suggestions on how to do it I'll be glad to try to help -- its
sped up my life considerably. It was the separate build host etc stuff
that I was looking for.  That section out of the handbook looks good
--I'll start playing with it in a dev environment hopefully this weekend
-- thanks for the pointer

TIM

Timothy A. Holmes
IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher

Medina Christian Academy
A Higher Standard...