Changing thread name here, because I'm going off on a tangent...

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 04:33:19PM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 08:22:04 -0700 (PDT), maxim wexler wrote:
>
> > IIRC the last time I updated baselayout it overwrote
> > some important files and my system was un-usable. In
> > all the excitement I failed to note what they were.
>
> That wasn't baselayout, it was you when running etc-update.
>
> > Is there a list somewhere?
>
> Yes, etc-update shows it to your before asking what to do. Check the
> contents of each file before allowing it to be overwritten, and never,
> ever let etc-update overwrite etc/fstab, /etc/passwd or /etc/group.

  CONFIG_PROTECT and CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK work at the *DIRECTORY* level.
What I really want/need is a feature that allows additional protection
*FOR INDIVIDUAL FILES*.  E.g...

  - my customized /etc/conf.d/local.start or /etc/conf.d/local.stop
    should *NEVER* be replaced with an empty version

  - /etc/rc.conf should be left alone too.  ***FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME,
    NO I DO NOT WANT NANO REPLACING VIM AS MY "EDITOR"***

  - /etc/conf.d/clock too.  ***FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME, NO I DO NOT WANT
    MY SYSTEM CLOCK SET TO GMT***

  - /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf too.  ***FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME, NO I DO NOT
    WANT MY CUSTOMIZED FILE REPLACED WITH AN EXAMPLE FILE***

  And the list goes on and on.  Howsabout an environmental variable
CONFIG_PROTECT_FILES, containing a list of protected files?  I'm ready
to submit a feature request if necessary.  Does anybody have additional
comments?

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://techsec.blog.ca