From: Michael Sullivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - Mouse going crazy in gnome
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 12:04:22 -0500

> On Sun, 2006-10-22 at 18:38 +0200, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
> > From: Michael Sullivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject: [gentoo-user] OT - Mouse going crazy in gnome
> > Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 11:18:58 -0500

snip xorg.conf (please see previoud mail of this thread)

> > > Can anyone help us with this?  I have no idea what to do.  Her mouse and
> > > my mouse are identical (optical) and our two xorg.conf files are very
> > > similar.  I have not seen this phenomenon on my PC though.  We are using
> > > modular X.
> > >
> > > --
> > >

> > Hi Michael,
> >
> >  if it is the same "mouse-effect" I recognized as I tried to configure
> >  my X...
> >
> >  It may be that the "auto" settings for the protocol fail to detect
> >  the correct protocol (the wrong protocol was the reason for the "wild
> >  mouse" in my case...).
> >
> >  I cannot determine the kind of mouse (manufacturer, brand,
> >  interface...) from the output you send with your mail...
> >
> >  My mouse is identified at boot time like this:
> >
> >    input: Logitech N48 as /class/input/input0
> >    input: USB HID v1.00 Mouse [Logitech N48] on usb-0000:00:10.0-2.4
> >
> >  it is an three-button USB-mouse (Logitech).
> >
> >  I configured it in xorg.conf like:
> >

> >     Identifier      "Mouse1"
> >     Driver  "mouse"
> >     Option "Protocol"      "IMPS/2"
> >     Option "Device"        "/dev/input/mice
> >     Option "Buttons"       "5"
> >     Option "ZAxisMapping"  "4 5"
> >

> >  HTH
> >
> >  Have a nice weekend!
> >  mcc
> >

> I was wrong about her mouse being the same as mine:  Her's is a Mitsumi
> wheel mouse and mine is a Logitech wheel mouse.  Is there a way to view
> the boot up messages without actually rebooting?  Also, I pulled this
> from her dmesg output:
>
> catherine ~ # dmesg | grep 'ouse'
> psmouse.c: Wheel Mouse at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost synchronization,
> throwing 3 bytes away.
> psmouse.c: Wheel Mouse at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost synchronization,
> throwing 1 bytes away.
> psmouse.c: Wheel Mouse at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost synchronization,
> throwing 3 bytes away.

  Seems to be serail mouse....so the settings for the protocol are
  (possibly) wrong..

  Feeding Google with"xorg mouse protocol serial" I found (first hit):

  (cite):
  When you choose, keep in mind the following rule of thumb:

   1. "Logitech" protocol is for old serial mouse models from Logitech. Modern
Logitech mice use either "MouseMan" or "Microsoft" protocol.
   2. Most 2-button serial mice support the "Microsoft" protocol.
   3. 3-button serial mice may work with the "Mousesystems" protocol. If it
doesn't, it may work instead with the "Microsoft" protocol although the third
(middle) button won't function. 3-button serial mice may also work with the
"Mouseman" protocol under which the third button may function as expected.
   4. 3-button serial mice may have a small switch at the bottom of the mouse
to choose between ``MS'' and ``PC'', or ``2'' and ``3''. ``MS'' or ``2''
usually mean the "Microsoft" protocol. ``PC'' or ``3'' will choose the
"MouseSystems" protocol.
   5. If the serial mouse has a roller or a wheel, it may be compatible with
the "IntelliMouse" protocol.
   6. If the serial mouse has a roller or a wheel and it doesn't work with the
"IntelliMouse" protocol, you have to use it as a regular 2- or 3-button serial
mouse.

  (end of cite)

  The link:
  http://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R6.9.0/doc/html/mouse4.html