On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:18:03 +0200, Daniel Iliev wrote:

> Let me explain what I'm trying to do. I want to automate "emerge --sync
> && emerge -DuNv world" with a cron job

I'm not sure automating emerge -u world is  good idea. I have a cron task
that does

emerge --sync
emerge -upvDN world | mail
emerge -ufDN world

Then I read the mail and decide on the updates before anything is merged.

> and to receive mails for the
> portage activities. I really don't need all the gcc output. I only need
> the portage "info warn error" messages

PORTAGE_ELOG will do this for you.

> in order to know if I have to do "dispatch-conf",

It won't do this, but "find $(portageq config_protect) -name '._cfg*'"
will. Or you could put it in a script with

if [ "$(find $(portageq config_protect) -name '._cfg*' | wc -l)" != "0" ]
then
        echo "Run dispatch-conf"
fi

> if some package has failed and if there is some
> important note about changes in the structure/functionality of a given
> package.

PORTAGE_ELOG will tell you that.

--
Neil Bothwick

Madness takes its toll. Exact change, please.