On 10/30/06, James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:

> > If I install XP in the partition and it writes over the MBR,
> > then, upon reboot, how do I get to grub.conf so I have the
> > option to reboot the gentoo, then run grub setup?

> Run it from the live CD.

Ok here's what I did in case anyone else has to do this:

Booted up ran a terminal session, when root and issued:

grub-install /dev/hda  <did not work>

so I mounted :   mkdir /mnt/boot
mount /dev/hda2
grub-install /dev/hda   <did not work>

grub-install /mnt/dev/hda2 <did did not work>

grub /mnt/dev/hda2   <throws me into 'grub>'>
grub> root (hd0,1)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

reboot Works great!

Thanks Neil....

James

Just so you know, it's possible to do a grub-install with just a minimal cd, provided your existing gentoo environment works:

mount /dev/rootpart /mnt/gentoo
mount /dev/bootpart /mnt/gentoo/boot
mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
env-update && source /etc/profile
grep -v rootfs /proc/mounts > /etc/mtab
grub-install /dev/hda (or whatever your hdd is called)

--
- Mark Shields