On Wednesday 01 November 2006 08:22, Alan wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 02:32:36AM +0100, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
> > On Wednesday 01 November 2006 02:08, Richard Broersma Jr wrote:
> > > During certain times I my server under goes heavy disc writes.  When
> > > this happen I get the following error.  Should I be concerned?  Does
> > > anyone know of any resources that I can read up on that will explain
> > > that all of this mean?
> >
> > yes, you should. Errors like this have usually one of this causes:
> >
> > disk is dying
> > cable is defective
> > PSU drops voltages under load
> > controller is defective
> > ram is defective
> > board is just junk
> >
> > >From most likely to least likely.
>
> Seconded.... dma_intr errors are never good, pretty much each time I've
> seen them they've preceeded a drive failure.  From what I remember it's
> basically the disk failing and then going out of DMA mode to try to
> recover and failing (or something like that).  Short answer is start
> shopping for new disks if you like your data to be safe :)  Or at
> minimal do a backup of anything important on there ASAP.

well, in my experience, a broken cable with a loose connection can do that
too. The IDE-cables are very sensitive, sometimes, when switching drives or
just reseating the connectors one of the wires can break. And then you get
random errors, which will creep up, when the cable gets warm or cold, or the
under load or when the fans blow a little bit harder...

I solved some harddrive problems simply by changing the cables.