On 11/2/06, Rafael Barrera Oro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Richard Fish wrote:
> Not that I'm aware of.  Can you post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> file...maybe there is some clue there.
>
> -Richard

Gladly, could the problem be that i compiled with KDE with the DRI flag
set on make.conf?, anyway here it goes:

Information about my grapchic card:    VGA compatible controller: VIA
Technologies, Inc. S3 Unichrome Pro VGA Adapter (rev 01)

Hmm, your log looks incomplete.  The beginning of it should be some lines like:

X Window System Version 7.1.1
Release Date: 12 May 2006
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.1.1

Regardless, it looks like you are using the vesa driver for your
hardware.  This is pretty much the lowest common denominator driver,
and will be *very* slow.  I'm not sure if you need the s3 or via
driver for your hardware (perhaps someone else with similar hardware
can comment).

What did you set VIDEO_CARDS to in /etc/make.conf?  This should
probably be something like:

VIDEO_CARDS="vesa s3 via"

If you have to change this setting, you need to remerge
x11-base/xorg-server.  I suggest to keep the vesa setting only to make
sure you have a recovery path if you make a mistake.

Once that is done, you should be able to change the Driver setting in
xorg.conf from "vesa" to "s3" (or "via").  The Driver setting to
change appears in the "Device" section.

-Richard