Hi,

I've come across this very strange problem.

I have a few work stations configured to use pam_ldap and nss_ldap.
The portage user and portage group are on the local machines, i.e, in
/etc/passwd and /etc/group.

with
passwd:      files ldap
shadow:      files ldap
group:         files ldap
in /etc/nsswitch.conf

"getent passwd" shows the protage user just fine, same goes for the
portage group.

However emerge will not work. If I emerge a package, it fails at
downloading packages, looks like it doesn't have permission to write
to /usr/portage/distfiles.

setting /etc/nsswitch.conf to:
passwd:      compat
shadow:      compat
group:       compat
will allow me to emerge packages, however, ldap users won't be able to log on.

Have I done anything wrong? I did google for the answer, however, I
wasn't able to find any. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

-- Joe

Those who can count, and those who can't.