Yes, VMWare is fit for the task, simply because I would be using it on
a windows machine.  Unless there is something better for a windows
machine?

Thanks for the hints.

On 11/3/06, Harm Geerts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Friday 03 November 2006 06:43, Trenton Adams wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Has anyone here played with minimalizing everything for use in vmware?
>
> Basically what I want to do is create a series of VERY tiny VMs that
> are all independent of each other, which provide one service.  For
> instance, I might put apache on one VM, and tomcat on another, and so
> on.  Obviously, I would want their memory usage to be absolutely
> minimized, seeing that I would like to run them all on one computer.
> I would probably provide them 64M-128M of RAM each, for their specific
> service.  Perhaps a little more if really required.
>
> Is there really anything that I should worry about?  Perhaps I should
> just DO IT?

Nick[1] made a post about minimizing Gentoo a while back.
But that topic was mainly about the disk usage.
I suppose you would benefit from a system that uses the -Os flag to create
small binairies.

But do you think vmware is fit for such a task?
vmware is a big strain on resources itself.
You might want to have a look at xen[2] instead.

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/160899/focus=160903
[2] http://www.xensource.com/xen/xen/index.html