Mark M wrote:

On 11/16/06, *Alan McKinnon* <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    On Thursday 16 November 2006 01:00, Mark M wrote:
     > Hi all,
     > Pentium D is actually an emt64 dual core cpu,
     > so while CFLAGS -march=pentium4 will work, it will be x86-32 instead
     > of x86-64 and of course the compiled apps won't know nothing about
     > the dual core (read almost dual CPU),
     > still it will run, and it will run fast, you may want to recompile
     > the kernel on the data center with vSMP option set, so at least the
     > kernel will know how to manage multithreads between two cores.

    In that case he should be cross-compiling with a CHOST set for the
    PentiumD, not so?

    alan

Yes, he can do so, but he won't be able to test run his apps.
And judging from my experience there isn't much difference between apps compiled for x86-32 or x86-64, however compiling the kernel for right cpu speed up things, especially multithreaded.

Hi Mark,

I actually wasn't planning on using 64bit anyway

I'm wondering if I should set my CFLAGS to -march=x86-32 or leave it as -march=pentium4? Are they essentially the same? I already took your previous suggestion and enabled vSMP support, though I haven't moved the drive to it's new home as of yet.