Sorry for taking this long, rough week. I didn't understand your
answer. The Linux box you're talking about is the Samba server?

Yes, the Samba server

What is Winbind? Or nss_ldap?

How did you setup a PDC without using either nss_ldap or winbind?

nss_ldap:
* requires modification to /etc/ldap.conf
* requires the nss_ldap package.
* requires modification of /etc/nsswitch.conf

winbind:
* requires the winbind flag for the samba ebuild
* requires modification of /etc/nsswitch.conf

getent passwd
* returns users
* returns workstations & servers also they will have a '$' at the end
of the username).

Normally this is completed via nss_ldap, but I have used winbind
before, for the sake of not depending on the bleeding sore that is
nss_ldap.  So, how is the local box finding the network users?   From
your config, it appears that you are using smb-ldap tools, but is that
the case?   If you cat /etc/passwd - do you see the users?

What does /etc/ldap.conf look like?

Sincerely,
 Joshua