On Wednesday 22 November 2006 19:40, Cooper Bug wrote:
> Hello gentooers,
>
> I have a new 60 GB drive which I want to put gentoo on.
> This will be a dual boot system. For now, I can only
> think to give 10GB to windows, all other space for gentoo.
> Please share your instights how many partinions do I have to
> do, what sizes. I would value all the input. Thanks a lot.

16MB /boot
5GB /var
5GB /usr/portage
15-20GB /
REST /home

swap as a swapfile where you want it to lie or 512MB-2GB swap partition.

So you would have 6-7 partitions.

no XFS, because it is highly unstable. No JFS, because it is slow. No ext4
because it is dev material. ext2 for /boot, reiserfs for /usr/portage,
because it saves lots of space there and if it does become fragmented, you
can mkfs /usr/portage without any risks - everything gone can be restored
with an emerge --sync.