On Friday 01 December 2006 16:06, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> On  1 Dec, Mick wrote:
> > On Friday 01 December 2006 07:31, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> >> Hi, I desparately need help!
> >>
> >> I have upgraded from udev-087-r1 to udev-103 (and from baselayout-1.12.5
> >> to 1.12.6)
> >>
> >> At rebooting (I have a speedtouch usb ADSL device) I get
> >> speedtch_find_firmware: no stage 1 firmware found
> >> (This is obviously a message from the speedtouch kernel
> >> module)
> >>
> >> Yes, speedtouch has to upload firmware to the device before
> >> I can use it. This has worked just fine before my upgrade to
> >> the new udev.
> >> And I've checked that the firmware is (still) in /lib/firmware.
> >> I've even reinstalled net-dialup/speedtouch-usb and net-dialup/ppp
> >> but nothing helps.
> >> I couldn't find anything in the Changelogs.
> >> I haven't changed my kernel (still 2.6.17-r8)
> >
> > I'm afraid I can't help with this problem, but it seems to me that udev
> > is not as effective as coldplug was in bringing up devices at boot time.
> > Not sure if this is something to do with launch timing of udev and the
> > device driver(s) during boot, but my USB devices won't be picked up at
> > boot since I updated to udev-103.  No problem with detection of USB
> > devices *after* the boot sequence has been completed.  I am still looking
> > for a solution to fix this . . .
>
> On a Gentoo Forum I've just found this (which works for me)
> On a 2.6.18-gentoo-r3 linux, simply unmerge coldplug, hotplug, hotplug-base
> and udev (yes, udev!). Then remove the /etc/hotplug, /etc/hotplug.d and
> /etc/udev directories.
>
> This being done, emerge udev again. This way you'll get hotplug-base
> emerged too.
>
> Of course, check that you have /lib/firmware/speedtch-1.bin and
> /lib/firmware/speedtch-2.bin. Udev attempts first
> /lib/firmware/speedtch-N.bin.V.RR where V.RR is the hardware version and
> release of the speedtouch modem. Mine is 4.00, so I have
> /lib/firmware/speedtch-1.bin.4.00 and /lib/firmware/speedtch-2.bin.4.00.
> But this is not mandatory.
>
> And please use rc-update to remove any boot- and default-time startup of
> the coldplug and hotplug scripts (you may even remove /etc/init.d/coldplug
> and /etc/init.d/hotplug just in case: they are not removed by emerge
> --unmerge).

I'm not the OP, so his/her needs may differ.  However, following the above
suggestions (except for the modem) and straight after running emerge --update
world wants to pull in hotplug:
# emerge -uptDv world

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating world dependencies... done!
[nomerge      ] app-cdr/k3b-0.12.14  USE="alsa arts dvdr encode ffmpeg flac
hal kde mp3
vorbis -css -debug -musepack -musicbrainz -sndfile -vcd -xinerama"
[nomerge      ]  sys-apps/hal-0.5.7-r3  USE="acpi crypt
pcmcia -debug -dmi -doc (-selinux)"
[ebuild  N    ]   sys-apps/hotplug-20040923-r2  0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB

Regards,
Mick