Richard Fish wrote:
> On 12/6/06, Xamindar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I have hibernation set up on my laptop and am just wondering if there
>> are any programs that are unsafe to have running when hibernating.  One
>> of the main ones im wondering about would be vmware.  Can I hibernate
>> while I have windows xp running in vmware and still have it exactly how
>> I left it when I power back on?  I will probably try it soon anyway but
>> just wondering if anyone else out there has more experience.
>
> I have done this, but end up rebooting the vmware session every time I
> try, because I move around to different networks and the networking
> between linux and XP gets confused.  So generally I'd recommend
> suspending the virtual machine with vmware's suspend function first,
> and then hibernate.
You are right, it kills the vmware machine on hibernate.  I just tried
it.  Oh well, at least it doesn't freeze.  I'll try that vmware suspend
function.

>> Also, I notice that my cpu governors and being able to change the clock
>> speed of the cpu no longer function once I resume from suspend.
>>
>> One other thing is that any programs that use the sound device are
>> killed when I hibernate (because hibernate is set to restart alsasound
>> or else sound doesn't work any more)....any way to stop that from
>> happening?
>
> Are you using the alsa drivers from the kernel, or the alsa-drivers
> package?  And which sound driver?
Alsa drivers from the kernel.
snd_hda_intel
snd_hda_codec

> I guess the 2 points of advice I can offer here are:
>
> 1. If you are doing suspend-to-ram, do *not* unload any hardware
> drivers.  A lot of hardware expects the OS to preserve state through
> STR, and that is really only possible if the drivers remain in memory.
I don't, suspend to ram works great.

> 2. If you are doing suspend-to-disk, it should be possible to
> unload/reload virtually any modules, such as acpi.  This is because
> the BIOS is executed and is responsible for setting the initial
> hardware states.
>
> -Richard
With hibernate I am still working on the acpi stuff.  I tried having it
unload the cpu governor modules but it says they are in use when I try
to hibernate.  Cpu sticking on maximum after a resume from hibernation
is really annoying.