What output device is gmplayer set to use?

Try explicitly setting it to alsa.

for the command line look at /etc/mplayer.conf (system wide) or per user
~/.mplayer/config

I think those setting also affect gmplayer, alsthough gmplayer also has a place
to set such things within its gui - which may possibly be stored in
~/.mplayer/gui.conf

I think if its not set to anything it may try all of its output drivers.

Cheers.