Hi,

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 21:09:00 -0300 Norberto Bensa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
> > > I believe that if I load piix first (the PATA driver for Intel
> > > chipset) I will not get this delay.
> >
> > I'm not sure about that.
> > Are you sure that it's really ata_piix causing the delay?
>
> Well... I've tried this config:
>
> CONFIG_IDE=y
> CONFIG_IDE_MAX_HWIFS=4
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
> CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
> CONFIG_ATA=m
> CONFIG_ATA_PIIX=m
> CONFIG_SATA_INTEL_COMBINED=y

Ahh, I see. So if you were compiling this stuff all into the kernel
(I guess it was like this before, i.e. w/ the 15sec delay), you would
definately create a driver collision which potentially could lead to a
race condition.

But I guess you didn't expect that to happen: It sounds as if you were
assuming that CONFIG_ATA_PIIX only configures SATA support. But since
2.6.19, there's a "#define ATA_ENABLE_PATA" in include/linux/libata.h.
That leads to PIIX PATA support via the *same* ata_piix driver/module
that is used for SATA support.

> In other words:
>
> PATA PIIX built-in

it was two times with the old statically compiled version, once via old
IDE layer, once via libata.

> SATA PIIX as module

that's only libata, so no problems with those devices.

> No delay. /dev/sda continues to be /dev/sda. Same for /dev/hda

But you need an initrd. Currently it's still experimental, but I would
suggest at least trying to use libata for all devices. You won't be
able to use the old IDE devices anymore in that case, so make sure that
you have SCSI CDROM and SCSI generic support in order to make use of
your DVD drive.

-hwh