2006/12/10, Michael Sullivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
On Sun, 2006-12-10 at 18:49 +0100, noro kamen wrote:
> 2006/12/10, Michael Sullivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > Now that I've got linux recognizing my modem, I was wondering if I could
> > somehow set asterisk up to give me caller ID information.  Is this
> > possible with asterisk?  My modem is only Fax/Data (no voice), but this
> > shouldn't be a problem if all I want is the caller ID, should it?
>
> which type of line do u have ?
> e.g. "classic" analog, ISDN, ADSL, VDSL ...

Classic I guess.  My regular caller ID box conked out a couple of months
ago, and as we cannot easily afford a new one, I was hoping I could use
the computer for that...

OK, as Iain answered, if your modem support it, u can read CID from it.
Just connect to modem from minicom and RTFM modem's manual.
The easyiest solution is to buy a specialized box (I bough it for ~10 EUR).

Asterisk can log CID 4u, and/or forward incoming calls to a VoIP phone,
but u'll need a special  * compatible  card, e.g. Digium X100P (obsolete/
sometimes still available on eBay) or another modem card based on MD3200
Cirrus Logic/Ambient chipset, intel 537PG or 537PU chipsets, but keep
away from 537EP, which is unsupported.

noro