On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 17:04 -0700, Justin Findlay wrote:
> On AD 2006 December 12 Tuesday 04:34:46 PM -0600, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> > Can anyone give me a simple easy-to-understand place to start for
> > setting up Asterisk?  All I want it for is for Caller ID and to drop
> > calls from certain phone numbers.  I have a US Robots data/fax modem.
>
> Start here.
>
> http://voipspeak.net/images/stories/orielly/AsteriskTFOT.zip
>
> Read the first few chapters or so.  Set aside having the answer Right
> Now and devote some time to theory and concepts.  The asterisk dialplan
> configuration is a little difficult to understand at first, at least it
> was for me.  You can email me with any questions if you want or try
> various means of the asterisk community.  Both the official irc channel
>
> irc://irc.freenode.net/#asterisk
>
> and mailing list

> are very active and usually helpful.

I'm trying to follow the pdf in the link you sent me.  On page 79 it
lists some stuff to add to /etc/zaptel.conf (I emerged zaptel):

"The zaptel.conf file located in /etc/ is used to configure your
hardware. The following minimal configuration defines an FXO port with
FXS signaling:

   fxsks=2
   loadzone=us
   defaultzone=us

After configuring zaptel.conf, you can load the drivers for the card.
modprobe is used to load modules for use by the Linux kernel. For
example, to load the wctdm driver, you would run:
     # modprobe wctdm

If the drivers load without any output, they have loaded successfully.*
You can verify that the hardware and ports were loaded and configured
correctly with the use of the ztcfg program:
     # /sbin/ztcfg –vv
The channels that are configured and the signaling method being used
will be dis-
played. For example, a TDM400P with one FXO module has the following
output:
     Zaptel Configuration
     ======================
     Channel map:
     Channel 02: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 02)
     1 channels configured.
If you receive the following error, you have configured the channel for
the wrong sig-naling method:
     ZT_CHANCONFIG failed on channel 2: Invalid argument (22)
     Did you forget that FXS interfaces are configured with FXO
signalling
     and that FXO interfaces use FXS signalling?"

However, I get this:

camille ~ # /sbin/ztcfg -vv

Zaptel Configuration

Channel map:

Channel 02: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 02)

1 channels configured.

ZT_CHANCONFIG failed on channel 2: No such device or address (6)

I have no idea what it's talking about, or even what device or address
it's trying to find...