On Monday 18 December 2006 06:34, David Relson wrote:
> Running insmod for vmmon and vmnet gets them installed and output
> from "/etc/init.d/vmware start" indicated success.  However
> running ".../vmware status" immediately afterwards says vmware
> has stopped.  Looking at dmesg I suspect the following is
> the key:
>
> vmware-start: Bridged networking on /dev/vmnet0 failed

I've had similar weird problems like this myself. I use
vmware-workstation but afaik the modules and underlying code is the
same as -server. Causes I have found are:

original kernel and new vmware-modules compiled with different gcc
versions
A LOCALVERSION was set in the kernel .config but modules were built
without it - caused by copying a 2.6.17-x .config over to 2.6.18 source
dir and not noticing this value was set
Not applying the vmware-any-any-xxx patch (the ebuild should have taken
care of this for you)

If all else fails, you might have to run /etc/vmware/init.d/vmware by
hand and see where it is failing.

As Neil mentioned, the bridged networking in vmware has nothing to do
with the host kernel. Try set up your vm to use NATing and see if you
can persuade vmware to run that way. If so, this will be a further clue
as to the underlying cause.

Is the config of your old and new kernel different in any relevant way?
Perhaps you should post the output of

diff -u <old kernel config> <new kernel config>

especially the networking options

alan