> I just stepped back into gentoo after a long too long jump to ubuntu.
> I had no time to do all the tinkering of things that is required in
> gentoo sometimes. My ability to do things deminished greatly!. I am
> back in the gentoo seat to remember long lost skills. I totally did
> not like the livecd install. I went back to the universal install
> cd's and all is well. I am a qa'r so you know what my next test will
> be ;). I think like many distro's people tend to flock to new or new
> to them distros to see what its like. Gentoo is one of the distros I
> learned the most with as with I am sure many of its other users.
> Gentoo still by far ( to me ) has the best documentation and user
> help out!
>
> LOVE LIVE GENTOO!

There will always be a current flavour-of-the-moment distro.

A few years ago it was Red Hat 9, then Debian had a turn, then Gentoo
hit the headlines. A large part of the hype was ricers who thought that
having gcc unroll every loop would somehow give spectacular performance
increases. They were wrong and - thank god - most of them have left,
leaving us sane folks behind.

The current flavour seems to be Ubuntu, but that is waning too. They hit
a few major teething problems with edgy and feisty like livecds that
didn't work right and binary drivers. Who knows what will be next to be
popular - Slackware? Debian?

These things go up and down, and with a group as large and diverse as a
distro, you get growing pains and procedures/personnel/cultures
changes. But gentoo will always be here and I recommend you not to read
too much into the daily ups and downs. Besides, like another poster
said, if gentoo is your favourite distro and the maintainers need a
hand, what's stopping any of us from becoming devs ourselves?

Thanks for everyone's input thus far.  I've been meaning to build and
maintain an ebuild for interchange (icdevgroup.org) for a while now.
I've never built an ebuild before, my programming skills are limited,
and at least two other developers have attempted and given up on an
interchange ebuild, but I'm making that my New Year's resolution.

Gentoo literally can't die without something better to replace it.

- Grant