On 12/17/06, Mark M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 12/16/06, marco restelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 12/16/06, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Saturday 16 December 2006 08:38, "marco restelli" <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --sync connecting to 1.0.0.0 [OT,
> > maybe]':

> > > Here it is:
> > >
> > > cat /etc/resolv.conf
> > > # Generated by dhcpcd for interface wlan0
> > > nameserver 192.168.1.1
> > >
> > > Actually, 192.168.1.1 is the router, which is connected to the
> > > internet with a Netgear modem, IP 192.168.0.1
> >
> > Alright.  This means that (most likely) your laptop is asking your
router
> > to resolve rsync.gentoo.org and that router is giving back bad
> > response(s), at least at first.  You should check the configuration of
the
> > DNS server on the router.
>
> Ok, this is already a useful information
>
> > If you need further assistance, I'll need to know more about your
router,
> > specifically it's firm- and software.  Also, if the router isn't running
> > Gentoo, we may need to take this off-list of (at least) mark further
> > messages as off-topic.
>
> It is Netgear WGR614 v6, and it is not running Gentoo.
>
> > If you want to confirm the problem is with the router, break out your
> > generic DNS clients (dig/nslookup) and network monitoring tools (tcpdump
> > et al.).  Of course, your router my simply be giving bad responses
because
> > it's getting bad responses from further upstream.
>
> Thanks for all the advices.
>
> Marco
> --

I've seen that exact problem with many simple routers like the one you have
and various Linux distros, almost always
some of the programs do work with dns server being the router itself and
some don't. Namely:

Web browsers and IM apps mostly work,
rsync,svn git and some telnet and ftp apps mostly don't.
In MS Windows almost always all work just fine.
The solution for me was to find out in the router itself what are the dns
servers that it uses and configure them in the system, either in resolv.conf
or in conf.d/net .
Hope it helps.

Indeed, it works for me as well :-)

Thank you