Hey fellow Gentoo-ers.

As long as someone uses Linux, and contributes code to it, it's alive IMO. In
fact I would say that every month it becomes more and more useful and I only
see Linux being behind on some gaming support and some other application
specific support (eg the business I work for uses many applications that only
run on windows, and I am not aware of linux equivelants).

Linux is more than sufficient for the average home user who goes on the
internet to sell their junk on ebay, writes emails to relatives far away and
watches a couple of films and listens to a few music tracks. I would say it was
far from dead.

Even if the Linux kernel itself were to die the same set of apps (or at least a
large percentage of them) that we use on our Linux boxes will work happily on
BSD with some tweaking, surely :)

David