On Thursday 21 December 2006 19:36, Uwe Thiem wrote:
> On 21 December 2006 18:40, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > package.provided is intended for use when you install something
> > without portage - it's your way of telling portage the package is
> > installed even though it's not in the database.
>
> What is that good for? Say I write my own app (like the one my
> signature refers to) and install it system-wide without creating an
> ebuild, what does it change if I put it into package.provided? I mean
> portage doesn't know anything about it either way.

package.provided is not there for that purpose. It's there for cases
when a package should be present but portage hasn't installed it (like
highly custom kernels) and you don't intend for portage to ever install
it either. But portage insists that a kernel must be present.

So you tell it that _you_ have provided one yourself.

It's all a bit of a hack and a dodge because 'emerge world' tends to
obliterate your provideds anyway (according to some arcane man page
somewhere....), and it seems to be very much an edge case for those 3
people in the whole world that need/want it.

Myself, I have never used it. If it's not in portage, I write my own
ebuild, or put it in /usr/local

alan