Neil Bothwick wrote:
> Overlays are there specifically for people who need
> something different from the standard portage tree. They are
> hardly difficult to use,

Not difficult, but it is clumsy:

mkdir -p /usr/local/portage/category/package
## Dont't copy all ebuilds, just the one to be tweaked:
cp /usr/portage/category/package/packag-x.y.z.ebuild
/usr/local/portage/category/package/
## Copy all possible patches:
cp -a /usr/portage/category/package/files /usr/local/portage/category/package/
## Copy the new patch too:
cp package-foo-bar.patch /usr/local/portage/category/package/files/
## Edit the ebuild and insert an 'epatch ${FILESDIR}/package-foo-bar.patch'
command:
vim /usr/local/portage/category/package/package-x.y.z.ebuild
[search for src_unpack(), insert extra command at end, :wq]
## Recreate digest:
ebuild /usr/local/portage/category/package/package-x.y.z.ebuild digest
## Finally, emerge the thing:
emerge -1 package

> How hard is that?

Not hard, but a nuisance.  Of course one could write a script that automates
all
those seven steps into a single command, but it has proven a bit beyond my
skills
(the finding of the category when just saying 'ovlay.sh package', not to
mention
the insertion of an epatch command).  Bo once said (or was it someone else?) he
had such a script.  If so, Bo, please post the script.  Or better yet, push it
upstream.  Portage knows about overlays, but doesn't have any commands to make
working with them easy.  It really should include a command that copies the
latest
ebuild of a given package to an overlay, and inserts epatch commands for all
the
additional arguments.

Benno