Very good ideas in this thread. Why not open a thread in the Gentoo forums and start a public discussion there?

In regard to your question, have you thought about the --oneshot option? That way you can manually upgrade the packages you see fit.

James wrote:
Mike Myers <fluffymikey <at> gmail.com> writes:

I think I like your idea better, about distributing binaries.  Do you know if
something like this is being worked on?  I'm certain that a common method to
this, like what you're saying, would allow Gentoo to become scalable to the
point of being easily usable on a large scale.

It's a lot of work. I'll be pusing binaries to lots of systems, but, it going
to take me months to get ready. I was hoping others with similar goals would
'band together' to come up with a solution that combines the needs for the
casual user as well as those of us that  want to manage dozens to hundres
of Gentoo systems.....

I need to refine the idea, and my goal is mostly embedded gentoo sytems, but,
they are very similar to gentoo-servers. Expanding the idea to workstation,
at least for core  software, is not that difficult.

I do not intend to get into 'competiion' with the devs, particularly on
applications that are big, complex, or prone to breakage (OO)....

It'd really be better to do this as a group, but, I've found little interest, most probably due to the fact that most folks are already bogged down with
their own ambitions.

James