Mike Myers wrote:
I just wanted to add something to the original post.

I've recently began experimenting with Debian and noticed their updating system is exactly like what I was asking about. Basically, there's package updates, and then there's distro updates. Why is it unreasonable for Gentoo to have something like this? I think it would help Gentoo a lot in the server market, where scalability is important.
If Debian does what you want then why not go with it? What would be the point in making Gentoo like Debian? Gentoo offers a different approach which many of us like. It's all about choice - if you like Debian, choose it - but don't expect Gentoo to turn into a Debian clone. It's not going to happen.