On 1/3/07, Iain Buchanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi all,

I was just trying to compile one of my programs that includes
linux/threads.h for the #define PID_MAX_DEFAULT, however, threads.h
isn't there anymore!

Hmm, on linux the maximum PID can be changed dynamically at run time.
Wouldn't it be better to change this to read /proc/sys/kernel/pid_max?

I've just upgraded linux-headers to 2.6.19 - is this the problem?

It seems so.  From kernel-2.eclass:

       # 2.6.18 introduces headers_install which means we dont need any
       # of this crap anymore :D
       if kernel_is ge 2 6 18 ; then
               env_setup_xmakeopts
               emake headers_install
INSTALL_HDR_PATH="${D}"/${ddir}/.. ${xmakeopts} || die

In other words, for versions previous to 2.6.18, (almost) all headers
in the tarball were installed.  For 2.6.18 and later, the makefile in
the tarball defines what gets installed.

If you truly need this header, make a private copy for your source
directory, or just define PID_MAX_DEFAULT yourself.  But as I
mentioned above, it can be changed at run-time, so relying on this to
be constant could be dangerous.

-Richard