This is a little upsetting to learn that effectively "stability" happens as
an after thought.

I used to run a hybrid of ~x86 and stable, but I've gotten so tired of
seeing new package versions every day, I felt I was spending more time
compiling to get the latest versions, than actually using my system.

I recently just deleted my /etc/portage/package.keywords file and was
figuring that over time, I would then end up with a nice 'stable' system as
each package caught up with the ~x86 one I was using currently. I didn't
want to re-compile / downgrade everything either.

But as I read this thread, it seems that in effect, I won't really be
getting a more stable system, I'll just be getting an older, out of date
one, as nobody is actively monitoring packages and then flagging them as
stable. :(

This feels like there should be some sort of cronjob running in conjunction
with the bug tracker. It could go through every package, and check if it's
version is >= 30 days and also check the number of bugs. If there are some,
it should ping the maintainer (and/or) the developer of said package,
otherwise, it could automatically stabilize the package flag. So on one hand
there is a little prod to get things moving, and on another, some of the
manual task is reduced.

Alternately, how about adding some sort of 'vote' or 'request stability'
button on http://packages.gentoo.org/ for each package's detail page. This
could then help 'automate' the requests and not tie up the bug tracker with
requests (which aren't really bugs per se).

DÆVID