On Friday 05 January 2007 15:44, Etaoin Shrdlu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Router for ssh tunnel/SOCKS proxy':
> On Friday 5 January 2007 21:25, Mick wrote:
> > OK.  I don't think I need to run a full VPN.  I just want to securely
> > connect to my router at home while I am out & about using public wifi
> > hot spots and thereby to be able to connect to the internet using my
> > ISP for browsing & email.  The only ports I should need to forward via
> > ssh to the router/server are those serving http/https for browsing and
> > 110/995/143/25/587 for email.
>
> If I understand correctly then, you need ssh (and a public IP address)
> running on the router.
[snip: and then forward a ton of ports]

Or you could forward X over the ssh tunnel, and run your web browser on
your router. >:)

Finally, if your email program and browser are SOCKS aware, you could
simply set them up to use your ssh connection as a SOCKS proxy.  There's
specific support for this in OpenSSH, so that you don't have to open ports
individually, it can be done dynamically on-demand.

> Never used it myself, but take a look at the openwrt project.
> From what I understand, it seems that it lets you put linux into the
> firmware of many popular routers, and manage it using a web interface.

While there has been some work done on a web interface, it's not a priority
for the core OpenWRT team.  For me, manging my router from a command
prompt worked better anyway.

--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest