On Thursday 18 January 2007 23:47, Jan Stępień wrote:
> On 18 Sty, 19:50, "Hemmann, Volker Armin"
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > nope. It isn't.
> > Xgl and direct rendering are exclusive. One or the other.
>
> Pity. That would be lovely.
>
> > Yes.
> >
> > Or you can start a second X with xinit. So you would have one
> > desktop (on F7)
> > with Xgl and one (F8) with 'normal' X.
>
> This method sounds interesting, but I have some doubts. Won't two
> separate X servers be too big challenge for my box? I've got an Athlon
> XP 3000+ (working at 2167 MHz) plus a GB of RAM. Having Xgl loaded in
> the background could be deadly for performance in OpenGL apps on Xorg.
> Please correct me if I'm wrong.

well, I played ut2004 on my amd64 3200+/gf6600. One instance of Xgl one with
naked X (and a xterm). Worked well enough.

> > Any reason, you are using Xgl? No Aiglx with your card?
>
> Actually, I haven't though about it. I've got an ATI Radeon 9600XT
> running on proprietary drivers (emerged ati-drivers). It works fine, as
> long as you can tell that Radeon works fine on Linux; I haven't got any
> experience with NVidia's hardware. Returning to the topic, I haven't got
> an idea neither whether Aiglx works with my Radeon nor why I'm not using
> Aiglx. When I've started to play with fancy 3D servers I was using
> Debian, and I found an article describing quite precisely how to get Xgl
> running on unstable Debian. Worked fine, so I've found Xgl a nice
> choice. Am I mistaken?

I don't know which drivers support AIGLX, but with aiglx (or nvidia), you can
go from eye-candy-to-fast-to-eye-candy with two mouseclicks. (start
beryl-manager, choose beryl from the menu for eye candy or your other wm, for
speed).