Dunno about gcc-4.2, you'll have to look at the gnu roadmap to get a
hint of when they think it'll move closer to a release

OK.

Not at all necessary. The kernel is a free standing block of C code and
depends only on itself, so ABI issues with other apps simply don;t
happen. As long as the kernel and all it's modules were compiled with
the same compiler you will always be fine. (There are exceptions of
course but with that rule of thumb you can't go wrong)

Yes, but if I keep my 3.4.x compiled kernel and I recompile modules in
Portage with 4.1, there will be problems, maybe (for example, the
vmmon module of vmware-player). Well, I think I'll recompile. I have
other reasons to do it.

Make sure any kernel modules you may have that are not in portage also
get recompiled.

Sure (I shouldn't have). I guess also programs not in portage will
have to be recompiled.

Thanks again,
m.