On Friday 19 January 2007 19:24, Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 16:30:17 +0200
>
> Alan McKinnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Recently I've noticed that I tend to get strange smudging effects
> > on text displayed in X. I've attached a small (5k) .png that shows
> > the effect (it's the smudge on the word "have").
> > [...]
> > (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23
> >               [16 of these numbered up to 0x32]
>
> Why does AIGLX complain when it's not being loaded (according to the
> cited config)?

Thanks for the reply, sorry for the delay, I had no connectivity for the
weekend at home. Anyway, here's what I have found so far this morning:

> Anyway, I would start with checking
> - is it Xft? Do have programs that use Xlib to write text (e.g.
> xterm) the same problem?

No, xterm and other xlib apps seem fine

> Is Xft up to date?

Latest ~x86

> Is freetype up to date?
Also latest ~x86

> Is /etc/fonts/conf.d/ in the desired state (not full of cruft like
> mine)?

I did find a bunch of orphaned files (autohint.conf, no-bitmaps.conf,
etc) in /etc/fonts/conf.d/ dated back to Sep 2 last year. I moved them
elsewhere and restarted X with no change

> - is it your X server? Log in from a remote computer and use SSH X
> forwarding to give it a try. Maybe running programs in Xnest is
> sufficient to confirm whether it's your server.

Ah, good test. When I do this the remote machine displays fine, so the
problem lies with the server. I'll have to do this the long way round
now and downgrade xft/freetype and various assorted stuff till I find
the one reponsible.

Thanks

alan