Jakob Buchgraber wrote:

The drive is mounted (contains the / partition). If no program access the harddisk, this actually shouldn't matter as otherwise the whole concept of laptop-mode etc. is nuts (or I completely misunderstood it :-) ).

Some more guesses that are not solutions :-) :

Other factors might be journal write (if / is a journaled file system), or swap activity (if your laptop is short on ram) - basically the kernel needs to do housekeeping stuff - possibly for a little while after you have stopped doing anything.

However I'd expect that after a *while* (i.e few minutes) it should settle down - no more activity should mean no more file buffer cache flushes, swaps or journal writes.

have you tried leaving the machine for a few minutes (i.e going and making a coffee), *then* stopping the drive?

Cheers

Mark