On 1/28/07, Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The thing I'm confused about is how I can get anything back to the
> > laptop when it won't even have an OS on it.  I could boot a LiveCD but
> > I don't think I'll be able to connect to the wireless network.
>
> Hum...that's pretty much a show stopper. In that case, setting up a
> wired network (if they have wlan, these machines would have wired lan as
> well, no?) or buying that 2.5" IDE adapter is probably the least hassle.

Do you think it's a lost cause anyway since after a format/reinstall
the system still detects errors on the disk?

- Grant

Grant,
  At this point if you cannot get a clean bill of health for this
drive from 2 or 3 different tools then it seems the drive is shot and
needs to be replaced. I cannot imagine that it is a good use of your
time installing Gentoo only to have it fail in the middle of the
install or worse yet a day or two after you finish and start using the
machine again.

  Are laptop hard drives really that expensive or hard to replace? I
should think that you could get a small computer shop to drop
something in for under $100, depending on your needs of course.

  Anyway, don't fight the trend. It seems this drive, or possibly
this laptop but probably the drive, needs to be fixed. Without a solid
laptop foundation your Gentoo building will soon come crashing down.

Just my 2 cents,
Mark