On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 22:46 +0200, Vlad Dogaru wrote:

> I would like to know if unmerging KWallet (also the eduitainment suite
> and possibly even Kopette and Konqueror) is safe.

When you install "kde" or "kde-meta" it pulls the whole K Desktop
Environment, including the IM program (kopete) and Kwallet and all that
as dependencies (some will be left out depending on your useflags of
course).

If you unmerge kopete for example, the next merge of kde will pull it
back in cause it is a dependency.

Konqueror is needed by most KDE programs, it's a really integral part of
kde, so unmerging it will break stuff.

> How can I tell for
> other packages? Is emerge --unmerge enough or do other measures have
> to be taken? Also, in the case of a fresh install, how can I choose
> what KDE installs? Do I have to run emerge kde, or would kdelibs,
> kdebase, etc (along with their dependencies of course) suffice?

You either have to live with installed applications you don't wanna use
or you have to get rid of "kde" and just select the k-applications you
actually want (they'll install what they need). Another way might be to
build your own kde-light package that depends on fewer stuff.

Jürgen

--
ICQ #81510866 - http://the-gay-bar.com - MSN [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"