Hi group,

I've been working and reading and tweaking and editing all day and
gentoo will not boot. Typical kernel
panic:

grub> root (hd0,0)

grub> kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 ro
  [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1200, size=0x13d208]

grub>boot

,,,VFS: Cannot open root device "hda3" or
unknown-block(0,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option Kernel panic-not
syncing...unknown-block(0,0)

Panics for hda1 and hda3. Whether I use the device names or grub (hd0,x)
terminology. Whether or not I declare a root dev after /vmlinuz

Yes, ext2fs support was compiled *into* the kernel.

There are 4 primary partitions:
hda1(boot-ext2),
2(swap),
3(root-ext2) and
4(home-ext2).

Very simple. No dual boot. No extended partitions.

e2fsck checks out for hda1 and hda3. No errors are noted for the drive
in dmesg or fdisk.

Is there something I haven't tried?

Maxim

Check to make sure you have all the disk drivers compiled in -- for your
controller etc -- some ide  / ata drives require odd ones here and there
-- I have tons of these errors :)

Tim Holmes
IT Manager / Webmaster / Teacher

Medina Christian Academy