Nelson, David (ED, PAR&D) wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Jakob Buchgraber [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 01 February 2007 19:16
To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [kernel 2.6.19-r4] DVD Drive extremely slow

... snip ...

Hey everybody!

I've upgraded to kernel 2.6.19 (gentoo sources) a few days ago however I can't get my DVD Drive working correctly.
... snip ...
Btw.: It worked perfectly well under openSUSE 10.2 (don't have it installed anymore, so I can't check which drivers were used) and gentoo kernel 2.6.18-r6 (I also used the ATA_PIIX driver there).

Any hints?

Cheers,
Jay

When you say you cant get it working correctly what exactly do you mean? Do you
mean it's slow when reading or writing CDs/DVDs? Or do you mean you can't
access it at all? What sort of methods did you use to test its speed?

AFAIK 33MB/s should be fine for a DVD drive - 16x is approx 21MB/s,
*theoretically* so I doubt it will ever even reach that.

--
djn

Hi, thanks for replying!

I get 2x DVD writing speed
I get  500KB/s to  1,5  MB/s  reading speed.

I can mount and access it, but it's just SLOW.

Any hints?

Cheers,
Jay