On Monday 05 February 2007, Jed R. Mallen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm doing an `emerge --update world`, but when it reaches xorg-server
> it halts with an error on this part:

[snip]

> --- /usr/share/X11/xkb/
>
> !!! Cannot write to '/usr/share/X11/xkb/compiled'.

There's your error: That directory either doesn't exist or has dodgy
permissions. On my system it is a symlink to /var/lib/xkb, which
contains two files:

.keep_x11-apps_xkbcomp-0
README.compiled

The README is an orphan and the .keep belongs to x11-apps/xkbcomp-1.0.3,
which compiles in something like 20 seconds.

So, it'll be easiest to remerge xkbcomp to create the needed dir, then
continue with your world update

alan

--
Optimists say the glass is half full,