> > Yes, but then I have to manually, one at a time search eix
> and compare to
> > the output of 'emerge world'. I use eix. That's actually
> why I suspect that
> > the feature could be implemented fairly easily. Portage has
> all the info it needs.
>
> You do know that eix is not related to portage in any way?

Not to argue semantics, but I'm guessing, and I could be wrong, but
'esearch' or whatever other "database" (used generically) that portage uses
has at least what versions there are of each package and if they're ~x86 or
not. That's all that's required for this request.

> Anyway, can you
> explain to me how this feature would help you at all. I really don't
> understand the use case for it.

Only because you asked... And the short answer is "mostly for stability and
book-keeping".

I run a mixed environment of stable and testing -- as do most people. Often
I run a testing  (~x86) package b/c I need a feature that isn't available in
the stable version. I would prefer to be all stable, but life is not so kind
in the land of Gentoo. And marking packages stable with any regularity seems
to be an exercise in patience and nagging and bug requests and waiting and

So then when I do an "emerge world", there are sometimes hundreds of
packages. All nickel and diming me to death. Like a -r1 -r2 -r3... Or a
v1.0.1 v1.0.2 etc. All these little incremental ones that are mostly due to
them being in testing. I really don't give a rat's ass about them and don't
want to spend days compiling things just for one tiny little bug fix, or an
ebuild fix or whatever else causes a version bump.

Therefore, if I could easily look and see a flag saying, "Hey! This package
is now stable and is equal to or newer than the testing version you've got
installed". I would be more inclined to upgrade to it, and simultaneously
remove the /etc/portage/package.mask entry so I can therefore continue to be
stable until the next "must have" feature in some package.

That's it. It's quite simple really. I could go on in more depth here, but I
feel like I'm just wasting everyone's time. To me, it feels like an obvious
and very useful additional information to show, but maybe I'm weird.

ÐÆ5ÏÐ

"Some people, when confronted with a problem, think 'I know, I'll use XML.'"
 Now they have two problems.