On 19 Feb 2007, at 23:15, Mick wrote:
You don't state which model of Belkin you tried, but I can assure you
that they do a "set" (USB, cardbus, PCI) of 802.11g cards that are
excellently supported by the rt2500 drivers. These are excellent, are
OSS & you can get them with `emerge rt2500`.

Well, I didn't want to bore you - I think I may have already posted about my troubles with it in the past. It is a Belkin USB WiFi adaptor, Model No.
K7SF5D7050A, which seems to have a RaLink chipset ...

However, if you have any ideas to make my Belkin USB work again then I'll use
that voucher for something else.  :)

I can't comment on that, although it doesn't particularly surprise me. I know the drivers for the USB RaLink chipsets are less mature than those for the PCI & Cardbus cards - when I first started using those (100% success on the Belkin cards under Gentoo, very easy to get going) work on the BSD USB drivers was only just beginning.

I recommend this card, but if you're outside the UK contact in
advance regarding shipping:
<http://networkned.co.uk/Belkin_Cardbus.php>
FULL DISCLOSURE: I am involved with this supplier.

Having been burned once I would rather go for something which has matured enough to be in the kernel, if possible, but thank you for the suggestion all
the same.

I don't think you're going to be terribly lucky with that. I'm only familiar with the 3 drivers I mentioned - and I know there's an OSS driver available for an Intel chipset, too - but of those 3 only the prism54 was in the main kernel last time I checked, and cards with that chipset that are getting quite hard to get hold of. I have never seen a prism54 cardbus card.

I appreciate your concerns, but honestly a rt2500 cardbus (or PCI) card is a safe bet - these drivers are very mature. I'm guessing that driver design for USB devices is more complicated &/or widely less well-understood than for devices using the "more traditional" PCI or cardbus busses (in fact, I think PCI & cardbus are substantially the same from the computer's point-of-view). I'd be very surprised if you were to plug on of these cards into your machine and `emerge rt2500 && modprobe rt2500 & iwconfig` failed to show it.

Stroller.