Hallo,

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. schrieb:
On Monday 19 February 2007 02:47, Hans-Stefan Bauer wrote:
storm1 hsbauer # /etc/init.d/gfs start
 * Starting gfs cluster:
FATAL: Error inserting lock_dlm (/fs/gfs_locking/lock_dlm/lock_dlm.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
 * Failed to load lock_dlm kernel
module                                   [ !! ]

Check your kernel configuration, particularly the "Distributed Lock Manager" option, CONFIG_DLM. You may need that part of mainline so that your out-of-tree module works.

Thank you for the fast answer. I looked into the file "/usr/src/linux/.config". There is no variable CONFIG_DLM in it. Also with a "make menuconfig" I did not find a possibility to select it.

Apart from the occurring problem it is strange for me that emerge
installs the kernel module into the root directory of the system (see
error message above) and not into "/lib/modules/..." as I would expect.

Hrm, double-check (by looking at your filesystem) to make sure it's in the wrong place. If so, please file a bug, that behavior is broken.

I redirected the output of an emerge into a file with the following command:

emerge sys-cluster/dlm-kernel >& test.out

The full test.out can be found at the following address

machine: ftp.dkrz.de
login     : anonymous
passwd : your Email
cd /pub/Outgoing/stefan_bauer

But, I think, the most important lines are the following:

>>> Merging sys-cluster/dlm-kernel-1.03.00 to /
--- /cluster/
>>> /cluster/dlm.ko

If this is a bug, please let me know how I write a bug report - I never did this before :-) .

<OT>
By the way, the format of your question was excellent, IMHO. It had the right information about how your Gentoo system is set up and the exact, initial error message.
</OT>

Thank you very much :-) and best regards,

Stefan