On Wednesday 21 February 2007 18:39, pat wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 01:13:56 +0100, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote
> > initrd/initramfs is mostly for distributions who want to compile
> > everything as module, people with strange settings (like some kind
> > of raid), or people too stupid to build their own kernel.
>
> ... so the initramfs is not necessary for the SATA drive when it is not a
> module ??? Because I think I need it because of the SATA drive.

You really didn't need those extra two question marks.

Anyway, if you'll compile the driver for your SATA controller (that runs
the
drive that holds '/') into the kernel and you don't have an exotic setup
(software RAID/LVM/EVMS), you won't need an initrd/initramfs.  Depending on
how your software RAID is set up you may not need a initrd/initramfs for
that
either.  (Linux won't autostart my software RAID because I raid together
two
whole drives instead of multiple partitions.)

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      ((_/)o o(\_))