On 2/27/07, Dan Farrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:59:21 +0100
Jakob Buchgraber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> b.n. wrote:
> > Jakob Buchgraber ha scritto:
> >
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> I just read about the required ALSA_CARDS variable when using
> >> in-kernel drivers in the Gentoo Newsletter. Since I am using
> >> in-kernel ALSA drivers I would like to know what changed and why
> >> this is required? Is this explained somewhere? I am using
> >> vanilla-sources (not gentoo-sources). So do I need to set
> >> ALSA_CARDS when using vanilla-sources too?
> >>

> > The GWN seems clear:
> > "for users using the in-kernel drivers, they
> > should now properly set that variable"
> >
> > I think that the other alsa packages must be aware of it. Anyway I
> > think setting it shouldn't harm.

Context from the GWN in question:

"In the past days there were a few changes to two ALSA packages,
media-sound/alsa-firmware-1.0.14_rc2-r1 and
media-sound/alsa-tools-1.0.14_rc1-r1. These two ebuilds now make use
of the ALSA_CARDS variable to decide which firmwares to install and
which tools to build."

So it looks to me like it has nothing to do with the kernel.  I can't
check the ebuilds right now, but my guess is that they would explain
what those two packages need the variable for, and what has changed.

--
Ryan W Sims