Dale wrote:

Here is my question.  What are the permissions supposed to be?  I have
it set to root:users right now.  It was set to root:uucp which was not
working.  If someone has a modem and uses dial-up, can you reply with
the output of ls -al /dev/ttyS* if you would.  If anybody else knows the
answer, that would be cool too.

This machine *has* been used for dial-up (but is connected to DSL router now)

$ ls -al /dev/ttyS*
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 4, 64 Mar  3 19:42 /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 4, 65 Mar  3 19:42 /dev/ttyS1
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 4, 66 Mar  3 19:42 /dev/ttyS2
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 4, 67 Mar  3 19:42 /dev/ttyS3

Oh, It had been a couple months since I rebooted, anybody know when this
happened?  How do you get udev to update after changing the rules, other
than rebooting that is.  :/

No sure on that (maybe look at udevcontrol)... Here's the relevant bit of my 50-udev.rules FWIW (which is default I think):

$ grep ttyS /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules
KERNEL=="ttyS[0-9]*",   NAME="%k", SYMLINK="tts/%n", GROUP="tty"