Albert Hopkins wrote:
On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 10:48 -0800, kashani wrote:

I hate to be that guy, but why is anyone using an MTA that was last updated in May 1998? Use Postfix (or any other MTA under active development), it's simpler, easier, faster, and has more functionality without jumping through hoops.

I could name a few:

      * Because I've been using for a long time and don't feel like
learning another MTA if i don't have to. * I know it pretty well and I *trust* it.
      * It does everything+ I need it to do.
      * Is so secure that it hasn't needed an update since May 1998 ;).

All those points (except the last, unfortunately) can pretty much be
applied to any piece of software I use (bash, python, vim, Gentoo...)

But is it secure after adding the thirty odd patches needed to make qmail a modern MTA? However if you're familiar with it, then yeah stick with what you know though the change to Postfix at least was so painless I wondered why I didn't do it years earlier.

For all you new users picking your first MTA: pick something else anything else besides qmail. :-) Please.

kashani