Mark David Dumlao wrote:
I have a button on my desktop that runs compiz-start if compiz is off and
metacity --replace if compiz is off. I'm having fun playing wtih this thing
except one annoying feature is when I switch from metacity to compiz all
existing windows are bumped up by one titlebar's worth. this means that all
windows that are maximized or at the top will have their titlebars undder
the gnome-panel.

I had this problem as well. I ended up fixing it by removing /home/<user>/.gconf/apps/compiz, restarting X without compiz, and making sure decoration was in my active_plugins before starting compiz again. I'm not sure what part fixed it, but it hasn't reappeared.

--
                             C. Lee Davis
Fantasy Geographic Society              http://fantasy.geographic.net/