well,i asked here that question as well and i sent mail to one of guys
maintaining that part of portage,Daniel Gryniewicz and got very quick
response from him telling me that they will include gnome  2.18 in portage
when they achive minimum testing point of it..

maybe this can help,i did it and running gnome 2.18 in no time,enjoy..

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Portage_Overlay_Listing#Gnome_Experimental_Overlay

On 3/21/07, John covici <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

on Tuesday 03/20/2007 Daevid Vincent([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote
> http://www.gnome.org/start/2.18/
>
> http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=gnome
>
> Latest listed is 2.16.2
> There isn't even a 2.18 masked or anything.
>
> ??
I am interested if that were possible -- I heard there is already a
feature freeze on gnome 2.18, so if it can be done, it would be
appreciated here.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici