On Thursday 22 March 2007, Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Problems with udev and network cards changing
device name':
> Delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

It won't come back next time udev is installed?

> This associated network interfaces with MAC addresses, so the cards come
> up the same way each time. your problem is caused by the file on the new
> box containing the MAC addresses of the cards on the original box, so it
> creates two more. A similar thing happens if you replace a network card.
> Delete the file and it starts again at zero.

A little off-topic, but the recent addition of this file, along with the
matching persistent-net-generator rules caused me some grief.

I know that MAC addresses are supposed to be suitable as a way to identify
network cards, but everyone also knows that they can be changed easily.
In fact, I'm lucky enough that both the built-in interfaces on my MB have
invalid MACs (FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF and FF:FF:FF:FF:00:00) so the kernel
assigns them random MAC addresses.  I assign them fixed MACs
(<vendor>:FA:CA:DE) and (<vendor>:EF:FA:CE) using the macchanger features
of Gentoo's net init script.  This had worked since I got the MB, and
wasn't something I really wanted to change.

With the new udev scripts in place, the pair of interfaces gradually
increased their number to eth10 and eth11 (rebooting due to unrelated
issues), which made my init scripts so longer run and left me manually
starting the interfaces (not fun).

I didn't want to delete the files, although I didn't need them, under the
fear that they'd just keep coming back.  The persistent-net rules script
looked quite editable, so I (finally) learned how to write my own, useful
udev rules, so force the identification I've always known and loved (ethX
by PCI device number).

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      ((_/)o o(\_))