Here it is what I did for the record. On my local rsync server I set
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS in /etc/make.conf as in /etc/make.globals but removed
--filter=...

Then, still on my local rsync server I did an emerge --sync so the
digest files are pulled in. I also did an update of system and world.
BTW here are two warnings obtained (ignored for now)

--- Invalid atom in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
=media-video/ffmpeg-0.4.9-p20070325

!!! A file listed in the Manifest could not be found:
/usr/portage/net-fs/nfs-utils/files/nfs.confd.old

!!! Fetch for /usr/portage/net-fs/nfs-utils/nfs-utils-1.0.12.ebuild
failed, continuing...

Now on my other boxes I proceeded with an emerge --sync to sync the
portage tree with the local rsync server. A new portage version was
available, then I issued an emerge portage. At the end of the emerge,
the cache was updated on its own. Nevertheless I did do emerge
--metadata. Is this the right time to do this?

Should the information you sent be included in the rsync documentation?
In the handbook

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=2

the section on

"PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS sets a number of default variables used during sync,
each space-separated. These shouldn't be changed unless you know exactly
what you're doing. Note that certain absolutely required options will
always be used even if PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS is empty"

does not welcome users to explore rsync.

Thanks for your help.

--
Valmor